Tuesday, August 22, 2017

A Great Conversion Story

Surprised by Oxford: A Memoir by Carolyn Weber 

Once in a while, I like to read a book that stretches me and a book I would not ordinarily read. When the Kindle version of this book recently went on sale I purchased it and was rewarded with a well-written look into the life and mind of a Canadian women who won a full scholarship to study literature at Oxford.

Arriving in London as an agnostic, the memoir describes her conversion to Christianity in the midst of liberalism. The stretch in this book for me was understanding the quotes from Byron, Lewis, Milton and other romantic period writers.

What I liked about the book was the story of God’s pursuit to capture this women’s heart and the skill of the author in showing how faith is compatible with intellectual pursuits. In this regard, it reminded me of Rosario Butterfield’s The Secret Thoughts of an Unlikely Convert.


This book is not for everyone, but if you are looking for a gift idea for someone who likes memoirs, conversion stories or well-written literature, this one is a good bet.

No comments:

Post a Comment